~ Vintage Images from the Early Twentieth Century of the Polish Immigrant Community of Worcester, Massachusetts ~

Monday, November 12, 2012

World War I Red Cross Nurse (Mystery Photo #16) - Mystery Monday


(Digital Image. Photograph Privately Held By Cynthia Shenette. Photograph and Text, Copyright (c) 2012 Cynthia Shenette) I think this young woman was either a friend, a relative, or a neighbor of my grandmother, Antonina (Bulak) Szerejko.  My guess is the photograph was taken around World War I, obviously in the winter, so perhaps sometime during the winter of 1918 would be a good guess.  I don't know for certain, but I believe the young woman is standing in front of one of my grandmother's homes on Endicott St. in Worcester.  I have other pictures in my collection that show the same Greek Revival home in the background.  My grandmother lived at 139 Endicott St. from 1913 to 1917 and at 137 Endicott from 1918 to until February of 1920.  I think the house in the background is the home at 139 Endicott.  The young woman was probably a member of Worcester's Polish community and a parishioner of St. Mary's Church.

If you recognize the nurse in the photo or can confirm the location of where the photo was taken I'd love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment