~ Vintage Images from the Early Twentieth Century of the Polish Immigrant Community of Worcester, Massachusetts ~

Monday, January 28, 2013

Young Lady in Fur and Feathers (Mystery Photo #18) - Mystery Monday


(Digital Image. Photograph Privately Held By Cynthia Shenette; Text Copyright (c) 2013 Cynthia Shenette) I hate to say it, but I wonder how many animals died to make this young lady's outfit.  She has a fur muff and a fur stole, and her hat appears to be made out of some kind of furry material.  Given the popularity of ostrich feathers back in the day I hope the feather harvesting process was not unkind to the ostrich.  I don't know who the young woman is, but she does resemble my grandmother's family somewhat, so she could be related to the Bulaks or Kowalewski's of Worcester, MA.  The photograph was probably taken in the late 1910s.

If  you recognize this very warmly (and fashionably) dressed young woman I'd love to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment