~ Vintage Images from the Early Twentieth Century of the Polish Immigrant Community of Worcester, Massachusetts ~

Friday, March 9, 2012

First Communion (Mystery Photo #1) - Mystery Monday

(Digital Image. Photograph Privately Held by Cynthia Shenette; Text Copyright (c) 2012 Cynthia Shenette)

Isn't this photo beautiful? I love the girls' faces, the flowers, the veils, and the dresses. I wish I knew who they were. My best guess is the girls and their families were members of Worcester's Polish community. I suspect, but I don't know for sure, that the photo was probably taken some time in the 1920s. The First Communion itself probably took place at St. Mary's Church (Our Lady of Czestochowa) in Worcester. Why did the girls have their photos taken together? Are they sisters? Twins? Cousins? There definitely seems to be a resemblance between the two girls.  If you recognize either of these lovely young ladies I'd love to hear from you.

Update 3/10/12 - I have learned that large sprays of flowers, such as the ones shown here, are more typical of the 1920s than of the decades previous.

No comments:

Post a Comment