~ Vintage Images from the Early Twentieth Century of the Polish Immigrant Community of Worcester, Massachusetts ~

Friday, March 9, 2012

Grumpy Little Girl on a Pony (Mystery Photo #2) - Mystery Monday

(Digital Image. Photograph Privately Held by Cynthia Shenette; Text Copyright (c) 2012 Cynthia Shenette.)

I think it's pretty safe to say this little girl does NOT want to be on that pony!  What do I know about this photo?  Not much.  The photo is mounted on card stock, but there isn't a photographer's stamp to indicate who took the photo.  My guess is the photo was probably taken sometime in the  late 1910s or in the 1920s.  I have seen photographs of children on ponies and in goat carts that have a similar feel to them.  My understanding is traveling photographers would travel with ponies or goat carts and take photographs of children with them for a fee.  Often the photographer would travel the same geographic area, so someone else out there in Massachusetts or New England may have a photo of a child on this same pony. The pony's markings are pretty distinctive.  The pony is also very fuzzy, almost like he has a winter coat. The little girl is also dressed for cooler weather.  If you recognize either the little girl (or the pony) I'd love to hear from you.  That said, I hope the little girl had a better day after she got off that pony...

No comments:

Post a Comment